Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Discriminating God?

Last week I went to a non-denominational Christian group. They read me a bible verse that really made me ask a lot of questions.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 - "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Now from what everyone says God is supposed to be a very loving and kind God. He is supposed to love everyone, but this verse seems to say otherwise. This verse seems to say that God is very discriminating against his people. Now I do see some of these acts as being wrong, but I don't see them as being bad enough to not allow them to not be allowed into heaven. That's why I am questioning.

I think the part that bugs me the most is the homosexuals. I happen to know quite a few homosexuals who are all very wonderful people. I don't really see homosexuality as a sin. I believe love is love no matter what. Also there are questions about homosexuals choosing to be that way or it being a genetic thing. I think in no way is it a "disease," as some people may think that, but in no way is it a choice. I don't think anyone would choose to be discriminated against. Especially if even God supposedly discriminates against them according to this verse.

The verse after it also raises some questions in my head.

1 Corinthians 6:11 - "And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

Now when explained by the people in the Church group this is supposed to mean that once you have turned and accepted Jesus Christ as your savior then you will be allowed into heaven. Now it makes me wonder does this mean that once they turn to God they will stop with their "sins?" I wonder if that means that even if a gay person takes Jesus as his savior, but doesn't stop being gay will they still be banned from heaven? I don't think a gay person can actually just stop being gay just because they accept Christ as their savior.

In my idea of God he doesn't discriminate against gay people. I mean if he creates everyone then doesn't he create the gays too? I don't think he would not allow a good person to enter heaven based only on the fact that they were gay. God is not that cruel. God loves everyone including the gays.

1 comment:

  1. unfortunately being gay will always be a controversial topic within churches. some churches accept gay people, while many (mainly more traditional) do not. for the churches that do not accept homosexuality, it is 'assumed' that the sinner must not only ask for forgiveness and accept Jesus, but turn away from their sin. IE a drunkard must stop drinking. therefore a gay person must stop being gay. This continues to feed into the idea that homosexuality is a choice, like a switch that can be flipped. and going back to your comment about God creating gay people, many Christians would disagree, saying that it is a sin, of Satan and not of God.
    As far as getting into heaven, different religions believe different things. Some believe once you are saved you cannot lose your salvation, some believe it can be lost if you backslide too far, or turn your back on Jesus. The most common is never losing your salvation. "once saved-always saved" however, if you are backslidden/have turned away from God, upon entering heaven you will not receive any crowns.
    Also, simply being a good person does not get you into heaven, Ephesians 2:8-9 says you are saved by faith, not by works. But simply acknowledging God exists isn't enough either. "You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe; and tremble!" James 2:19 Obviously demons are not saved, therefore believing in God is not being saved.

    ReplyDelete